Rode Hard And Put Away Wet

my God, where do these days go?

Monday, August 28, 2006

What We'll Remember




Gents and ladies, I humbly submit that while the latter part of the twentieth century belonged to some schmucks named Britney and Justin, the 00s are the purview of Ben and Jenny (and some guy named Sufjan - news at 11).

Ben Gibbard (of Death Cab for Cutie) and Jenny Lewis (of Rilo Kiley) - put 'em together and whaddya get? The Postal Service. Every bit as efficient as their namesakes, but these guys work on Sundays.

I enjoy Death Cab and I like Rilo, but I freakin' adore The Postal Service. I guess it's one of those "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" things. I also love that these guys aren't afraid to do a cover or two. I've got quite a few live shows now, and it seems like they can't do a show without covering someone - and it's usually someone from a looooong time ago. Here are some goodies for you.

Ben Gibbard - Lookout, Here Comes Tomorrow - a freakin' Monkees cover!
Death Cab - Earth Angel - The Penguins
Jenny Lewis (with Johnathan Rice) - Cold Jordan - The Grateful Dead

Update: Mucho props to Myles for reminding me that Jimmy Tamborello (aka Dntel) is one of the pillars of the Postal Service, along with Ben. Apologies to Dntel. He's wicked awesome. Listen to the groove of The District Sleeps Alone Tonight if you don't believe....

3 Comments:

Blogger myleswerntz said...

um...The Postal Service is Ben Gibbard and some other dude, a dj from LA.

10:57 AM  
Blogger John Barber said...

My apologies - I left out Jimmy Tamborello, aka Dntel. He is the DJ.

My bad. Sorry, Jimmy! Love your stuff.

But Jenny is involved as well.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your musical tastes and thought I'd tell you so.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home