Rode Hard And Put Away Wet

my God, where do these days go?

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Full Disclosure


In the interest of full disclosure, I figure I should just come out with it. You wanna know why I haven't been blogging? Are you sure you wanna know? Well, here it is. I am hopelessly addicted to Fantasy Football. Have been for years. I know that makes me a uber techo, wanna-be jock, geek. I understand. And I don't care. I like Fantasy Football. It's fun.

Did you watch the Saints game last night? On one hand, I'm still pretty weary of the Katrina coverage. I know, I'm supposed to be compassionate, but the wall of coverage that's still oh, so helpfully provided by FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC, Discovery, the damn Weather Channel, it just wears me out.

But watching that city last night, I was rejuvenated - kinda like New Orleans. It really is a wonderful city - I've only been there once, but I still feel a love for it. So it feels good to watch it heal. And like it or not, football was a significant part of it. It reminded me a bit of President Bush throwing out the first pitch in New York after 9/11.

So am I justifying my addiction by trying to apply some sort of social good to sports, despite all of the obvious social evils (football players make 8 million times more than school teachers!)? Probably. But it's tough to deny the evidence.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nathaniel said...

I too have been watching enough NFL to make my eyes sweat this season. I don't do the fantasy thing, but I have discovered something even better - GAMBLING! You can't imagine how much more interesting it makes a football game to have $5 riding on it. So far, knock on wood, I have proven to be fairly adept at picking against the spread. Mostly I just do what Bill Simmons and King Kauffman tell me to do.

12:52 PM  
Blogger John Barber said...

Oooh.. I need to know - exactly where do you do this "gambling"? Not that I have any interest in doing it, I'm just, um, yeah, curious, that's it.

1:49 PM  
Blogger myleswerntz said...

um, so i have two teams this year instead of just one. next year, we should be in a league. it's pretty much like crack on a keyboard.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Nathaniel said...

I place my wagers at bodog.com. The first game I bet was the Chargers/ Raiders late game on the opening Monday. I deposited $20 in the account and now I have $46 and change. I pick two NCAA games on Saturday, two NFL games on Sunday, and usually wager on the Monday game. Never more than $5, which is the minimum bet.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home