Rode Hard And Put Away Wet

my God, where do these days go?

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I was born the day after Elvis died. The King passed away on August 16, 1977 and I was born August 17, 1977, so I’ve always maintained that I have a little bit of The King in me. Janna and I visited Graceland a few years ago, and it’s one of my favorite places in the world. The level of kitsch is so ridiculous, it’s impossible to describe well.

But even before I saw it with my own eyes, I loved Graceland. And my mental picture came completely from Marc Cohn and his song Walking in Memphis.

I saw the ghost of Elvis on Union Avenue
Followed him up to the gates of Graceland
And I watched him walk right though.
Now, security, they did not see him
They just hovered ‘round his tomb
But there’s a pretty little thing
Waiting for The King
Down in the Jungle Room.


Marc Cohn, the man with the golden voice and the sweet piano, was shot in the head yesterday. During an attempted carjacking, a man fired into Cohn’s band’s van, and a bullet struck Cohn in the temple. He appears to be ok, though. He was released from the hospital and the doctors say that he will make a complete recovery.



I own his first two albums (although I really only love the first one). But, man, that’s a good record. Even if he never records anything else worth listening to, that album is a masterpiece.

Best wishes to Marc and his family.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

True Companion . . . I remember crying the first time I heard that one, in my dorm room. Remember? You put only that song on a tape and gave it to me, I think for Valentine's Day - '97.

Don't be too embarassed when the fellows read this.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I heard that this morning - his wife works for Good Morning America. She called in and said he came out of recovery nicely - nicely is such a non-descriptive word.

I thought Janna's comment was going to reveal some secret dorm room visit. I am so thankful that is not the case. Just ask Jennie (www.jem.squarespace.com)... we didn't even want to go in the room... and I never did go back to have it removed from my official record after the time period (I'm ruined)!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home