Rode Hard And Put Away Wet

my God, where do these days go?

Monday, June 13, 2005

I'm tired of the public perception of Christianity. I'm especially tired of blaming CNN and Howard Dean for it. What does it say for Christianity that the most recognizable face of it is Jerry Falwell? Why are there no more real heroes of this faith? Or, are there and we just never hear about them? Is it the media's fault? Is it Christianity's fault? Does it matter? Should we care? Should we just suck it up? Does it go with the Christian territory?

Anybody out there know of some Christians that deserve some ink?

4 Comments:

Blogger Nels Cross said...

I am going to push back a bit.

Is it what the public leaders are saying? Or how they are preceived?

Falwell, for example, is immediatley assumed to be a conservative Baptist pastor. And he fits the bill. The problem is that even if he makes the best points, he is shelved as out of touch.

The key for the next generation of leaders will be to say the same things. But say them without the traditional pattern if churchiness.

10:41 AM  
Blogger John Barber said...

Forgive me for having little sympathy for the negative public perception of guys like Falwell... But when he (and Pat Robertson, and others) show up on CNN talking about 9/11 or the tsunami being the result of "moral decay" or homosexuality in our culture, it's hard to walk away with anything but a negative opinion. And if it's that hard for me, imagine how hard it is for a non-Christian.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Nels Cross said...

yup.. thats my point.

I have seen those guys make some awesome, thoughfull, and sincere points. And then I have seen them other times and thrown the remote at the T.V.because they said somthing that was equally arrogant, and uncaring.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Capt. Flipout said...

I vote they replace them all with Anne Lamott!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home