Rode Hard And Put Away Wet

my God, where do these days go?

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I have the blessing / responsibility / opportunity /luxury /benefit / hardship of being part of a church plant. Now, we've around for about seven and a half years, so I'm not sure we technically still count as a plant. But here's the main difference between a church plant and an established church: at New Hope (and churches like it), you can get as involved in the church as you want to. Churches that have been around for awhile have people firmly ensconced in positions, plants don't. You want to be a ministry leader? You're hired! You want to lead a small group? We'd love to have you! You want to preach every once in awhile? Sure!

Actually, that last one is the position in which I find myself. Over the last few years , I've preached at New Hope 5 or 6 times. And, I'll be doing it twice more next month. Why am I bringing this up? Who knows. But do you know the odds of a schmuck like me, with no seminary training, let alone much experience, being allowed to preach at any kind of established church? I'm guessing it probably wouldn't ever happen.

Now, as to whether or not that's a good thing, I guess we should ask the folks at New Hope after I preach.

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Flipout said...

Can't imagine it being anything BUT good.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Janna Barber said...

You're great. That's why they keep asking you to do it.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Janna Barber said...

You're great. That's why they keep asking you to do it.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Nels Cross said...

I heard you preach and wondered the same thing.... ok... just kidding....

Ask Peter how much seminary training he had...

Nels

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home